Flip-flops…check! Sunscreen…check! Beach chair…check! When you are planning for your day at the beach or the pool be sure to leave jewelry off that list.
Summer is here and we are all excited about relaxing and getting outside to enjoy the weather. Unfortunately the warmer months, and the activities associated with them, can wreak havoc on your beautiful jewelry. The residue from lotions, sunscreen, chlorine, even salt water, can damage the metal and gemstones in your favorite earrings, rings, pendants and bracelets.
Here are some tips to help keep your jewelry looking beautiful:
- Have your diamond, gemstone & pearl jewelry cleaned and checked every six months in our store.
- Avoid wearing your jewelry while doing housework, yard work or any other kind of rough work.
- Don’t allow your diamond or other gemstone jewelry to come in contact with chlorine bleach or other harsh chemicals, including those found in pools and hot tubs. Hand lotions, sunscreen, styling products, and perfume can all leave a film on the surface of stones, causing them to reflect less light and appear dull.
The picture below shows the difference in appearance between a diamond that has oils on its surface from fingerprints (left) and a clean diamond (right).
- Most diamond jewelry can be cleaned at home using a small bowl of warm water with a mild household liquid detergent (one that does not contain chlorine). Brush the jewelry with an old, soft, toothbrush, rinse clean and pat dry with a soft, lint-free, towel. When in doubt about how to clean a specific item bring it in for us to examine.
- Sterling silver jewelry can be cleaned with a polishing cloth (available at Bill Selig Jewelers) and good old fashioned elbow grease. For tougher tarnish, or to clean small and hard to reach areas on a piece a simple paste made from baking soda and water usually does the trick. Again, if you ever have a question on how to clean your jewelry please feel free to stop by the store and we will be glad to help.
We are all guilty of wearing our jewelry in the shower, to the gym, while we clean the house or even when we are outside gardening. It might seem innocent but overtime all these activities can damage your jewelry and leave it looking less than spectacular. Get in the habit of removing your jewelry before doing any of these things and you will keep it looking wonderful for years to come.